This has got to be one of the nicest cake's in the world! Sarah made it the other night and had us over to share it with them. Aren't we lucky? It was divine. The perfect blend of orange and chocolate. It was moist and light and YUUUUUUUM!
Make it for yourself and see....enjoy!
200 gms dark chocolate
150gms chopped butter
1 tablespoon of grated orange zest
5 eggs, separated
160gms caster sugar
150 gms (1 1/4 cup) almond meal
cocoa powder to dust
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and line a 22cm round cake tin.
2. Place chocolate, butter and oranges zest in a saucepan over low heat and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool.
3. Using a mixer beat the egg yolks and sugar on high speed until thick and creamy, then transfer to a large bowl. Gently fold in chocolate mixture and almond meal.
4. Using a mixer beat egg whites on very high speed to soft white peaks and, in 2 batches, fold into prepared pan and bake for 50 mins or until skewer comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Dust cake with cocoa and serve with cream or icecream.